Monday, July 5, 2010

Signed, Sealed, Delivered

It is no secret that I love paper. I collect books, magazines, quotations scribbled on millions of little scraps, greeting cards and even notebooks, post-it notes and office supplies. I used to count down the days until I could do shopping for new school supplies. I still love the smell of the library. Most of all - I love mail. Obviously not bills and spam, but letters and postcards are all too rare in this digital age and unexpected treats to find in the post box. 

I have boxes of postcards - vintage, touristy, handmade, photographic, advertisements and more. I seek them out at garage sales and flea markets and friends and family have taken to sending them to me when they are on vacation.  Here are some of my favorite postcards and postcard related finds:


I love vintage postcards like this one.
(Photo courtesy of Collectors Quest)


This is definitely on my list of crafty projects. A diy postcard pillow!
Great Tutorial from Shelter Pop on Manhattan Cleaning.


Retro postcards and travel postcards are so much fun. You can find a great selection at your local kitschy tourist trap.  I also love collage art and this postcard by Juliet Blaxland is a great mix.


Love letters are a lost art but a simple I Love You written on a beautiful postcard is easy enough to come back into style. I love the simplicity of this necklace by Fifty Acorns on Etsy.


If you have never visited Post Secret, you have no idea what you are missing. This popular site features postcards sent in anonymously with other's secrets written on them. It is strangely addicting. 


It's no secret how much I love burlesque and the Metropolitan Postcard Club of New York has an incredible collection of burlesque postcards featuring the original beauties of burly-q and vaudeville.


 
This one by Scarlett Beautiful just makes me laugh.

And finally....


In Chicago in 2007 Threadbare created the Postcard Machine at the Renegade Craft Fair. Check out their YouTube Video to see how it works!



No comments:

Post a Comment